I'm so excited about this! For the past couple of months whenever we finish a loaf of whole wheat bread I throw the two ends into a gallon ziploc bag in the freezer. My bag was getting pretty full so today I pulled it out and thawed it on the counter. Then I covered a large baking sheet with the bread slices and toasted them in a 325 degree oven for about 20 minutes, turning them over halfway through. When they were cooled I put them in the food processor in batches, sprinkled in a little Italian Seasoning, and voila! Homemade Whole Wheat Breadcrumbs!!! Why am I so excited? I don't know, I just am!
Really, I think it's because I took something we normally throw away and turned it into something we normally buy, except healthier (because I've never seen whole wheat bread crumbs at store).
Tonight I mixed the breadcrumbs with a little garlic salt and Parmesan cheese and coated our chicken in it, then baked. I honestly have never seen the girls eat so much chicken. They were literally begging for more and it was all gone. SCORE!
No comments:
Post a Comment