Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Cookie Exchange

Tonight we hosted our 2nd annual Cookie Exchange with our neighbors. It was so nice to take some time out to relax and catch up with everyone during the crazy holiday season. We had 4 sets of neighbors come which turned out to be a great number. Our pantry is literally overflowing with cookies and treats now! I might even cancel a few items off my baking list for tomorrow.
A few festive drinks
Hot chocolate station
I found these cute takeout boxes to send our cookies home in
A few salty snacks. Our homemade pepper jelly with cream cheese and crackers...
...and some buffalo chex mix
Neighbor #1's cookies: Martha Stewart's Coconut Macaroons. These were to die for!
Neighbor #2's cookies: Classic Chocolate Chip
Neighbor #3's cookies: Spritz Cookies (these are Leyna's FAV)
Neighbor #4's cookies (she was really late so they never made it out of the bag): Chocolate covered Ritz peanut butter sandwiches and Oatmeal Raisin with white chocolate chips. She also brought us some homemade egg nog and some tiny loaves of quick bread for the girls.
Our cookies: Frostbite Cookies. I make these every year. Recipe below!

Frostbite Cookies
(I clipped this recipe from a coupon insert a long time ago. It looks like it's from Baker's Joy/Sunmaid Raisins)

3/4 C raisins - This year I substituted cranberries since Leyna doesn't like raisins and I liked it even better this way
3 T. orange juice
1/2 C butter or margarine, softened
3/4 C granulated sugar
1 large egg
2 t grated orange peel
1 C all-purpose flour
1 t. baking soda
1-1/2 C old-fashioned or quick oats
1-1/4 C white chocolate baking chips (I usually just use the whole bag)
1 t vegetable oil

Heat oven to 350F. Combine raisins and juice. Cover and microwave on high 1 minute. Let stand. 
Beat butter and sugar in large bowl. Add egg and orange peel; mix well. Stir in flour and baking soda. Mix in oats and raisin-juice mixture. 
Drop small spoonfuls of dough onto cookie sheets, leaving 2 inches between. Bake 10 to 12 minutes. Cool on wire rack. 
Microwave white baking chips and oil on medium power about 2 minutes. Stir until chips are melted. Dip cookies half way up into chocolate. Refrigerate on wax paper lined pan 10 to 15 minutes until chocolate is set.
Makes about 4 dozen cookies.

No comments: