Wednesday, September 22, 2010

What's For Lunch Wednesday

I borrowed the "Deceptively Delicious" cookbook by Jessica Seinfeld from the library and have had it open to the French Toast recipe for a few days. Unfortunately, I just haven't been able to bring myself to make it on a hurried weekday morning. I finally decided to make it for lunch today and I'm so glad I did. I never make french toast so the girls had never even tried it before. Which was nice because they didn't expect it to be covered in powdered sugar!
I have to say I've never heard so many "mmms" from these two while they were eating. Leyna said "can we have french toast for dinner too?" This is definitely going to go in the breakfast rotation - it was easier than I thought!
Here are the before plates (I hadn't added the syrup yet):
And the afters:

I changed the recipe just a bit so here it is the way I made it:

3 extra large eggs
2 tablespoons organic canned sweet potato puree
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
5 slices whole wheat bread
flaxseeds
pure maple syrup

1. In a shallow bowl whisk the eggs, puree, and cinnamon. Add the bread slices and turn them in the mixture to soak for 30 seconds to a minute (any longer and the bread will get soggy.)
2. Heat a large nonstick pan over medium-high heat. Add the soaked bread slices. While the first side is cooking, sprinkle the uncooked side with flax seeds. Cook until golden brown on both sides, about 2 to 3 minutes per side. Serve with fruit and syrup. ENJOY!!!
(here's a link I found to the original recipe http://recipes.sparkpeople.com/recipe-detail.asp?recipe=1087438)

1 comment:

Kim said...

Thank you! Conner used to love french toast and I forgot about it as part of the "breakfast rotation." The fruit/veggie and flaxseeds are great ideas! Made it this morning and it's a hit :)