Since Leyna loves soup so much I thought I'd do another Soup Week in her honor. OF COURSE, tonight she told me she didn't want soup. I can't win. Oh, and Cora told me she doesn't like soup. At all. Ever. So even though they both love all of the ingredients that go into this soup, they were in no mood to try a bowl of green goodness tonight. Thankfully Leyna eventually put on her brave face and tried it and liked it. She even asked for seconds. Cora ate the cheese off of hers and I bribed her to eat about 3 bites total. Oh well. She might starve this week if she doesn't change her stance on soup!
Anyway, this soup is REALLY GOOD. Put on your big kid pants and try it!!!
Broccoli Cheese Soup
1 1/2 lbs frozen broccoli, thawed
2 C water
1 stalk celery, chopped
1/2 C onion, chopped
2 T butter
2 T flour
2 1/2 C chicken broth
1/2 t salt
pinch of nutmeg
1 1/2 C cheese (I used 1/2 C gruyere & 1 C sharp cheddar)
1/2 C heavy cream
extra cheese & chives for topping, if desired
In a large pot bring the water to a boil and add the broccoli, celery, and onion. Cover and simmer for 10 minutes. Do not drain!
Carefully add the mixture to a blender and blend until smooth. Set aside.
Rinse pot and place back on stove. Add butter and melt over medium heat. Whisk in flour and continue stirring until mixture is smooth and bubbly.
Whisk in broth, bring to a boil, and continue boiling for one minute.
Stir in broccoli mixture, salt, and nutmeg. Heat through but do not boil.
Finally, add cream and cheese and stir until smooth.
Ladle into bowls and top with cheese and chives if desired. Sometimes I serve this in bread bowls which is extra delicious!
No comments:
Post a Comment