Friday, January 13, 2012

Pizza Friday - Mini Calzones

Wow, between these and our favorite pizza rolls we may never make a traditional pizza again! I found this idea on Pinterest (of course!) and it is just too good to be true. Super toddler/preschooler friendly. Cora ate one. That is a huge deal. And Leyna ate 2! I was hoping to have some to freeze but between us and an extra dinner guest we pretty much polished them off. I'm sure the remaining 2 won't survive late night snacking ;)
Next time I will double the batch because these would be so handy to defrost and eat on go. Ooooh, that makes me think - Breakfast Mini Calzones! I promise to make some of those next and let you know how they turn out!
Mini Calzones
found on Pinterest, adapted from this site

1 batch of of whole wheat pizza dough
toppings of your choice (meat, peppers, spinach, broccoli, mushrooms... anything!)
sauce of your choice
ricotta
dried herb of your choice
mozzarella cheese

Preheat oven to 375. Grease muffin tins (I made 11 calzones/muffins)
Divide your dough into golf ball sized pieces and then roll each ball into a disk about 5 inches in diameter. Place disks in muffin tin cups.
In each dough-lined cup, put 1 tablespoon marinara. Then place 2 tablespoons of toppings (I made some with salami and some with pepperoni), 1 tablespoon ricotta, a sprinkle of dried herbs, and 1 tablespoon of mozzarella cheese. Seal up the dough.
Spray or brush the top of the muffins with olive oil and sprinkle with Parmesan cheese.
Bake for 15-20 minutes, until outside is golden brown. Serve with extra marinara for dipping if desired.

No comments: