Thursday, July 5, 2012

Weekly CSA Roundup

So if you remember from last Friday, this is what we got for our weekly CSA pickup:
And here's how we used it...
The lettuce, green peppers, cauliflower, and cucumber when into a green salad. We still have about a half a bag of lettuce to use up. It's amazing how much longer produce lasts when it hasn't traveled all the way across the country before it gets to you!
The mint I washed and put in the fridge but it wilted. I didn't want to waste it so I threw it in a pot with some water and lemon slices and simmered it as an air freshener. It made the house smell great!
We already have green onions in our garden so I decided to freeze the ones we got from the farm. I snipped them and spread them on wax paper in the freezer, then transferred them to a jar and placed them back in the freezer. Now I can shake them into soups or other recipes whenever I need them!
The bottoms of the green onions I threw into a jar with some leftover sweet banana pepper juice in an attempt to pickle them. We'll see what happens!
I didn't figure I could do  much with 3 stalks of rhubarb but I was wrong. I found this lovely recipe for rhubarb syrup (here) but once I cooked it down it looked so good I didn't want to separate the pulp and juice. Instead I put it over vanilla ice cream. It was SO GOOD.
I combined the zucchini with several others from our neighbor and made chocolate zucchini bread, zucchini with yogurt, and a zucchini yogurt dip that isn't pictured because it wasn't good enough to make again.
This bread was awesome, especially warm. Recipe can be found *here*
Zucchini with yogurt. Adapted from my friend Ani from Albania. Love this - it's so refreshing and light!!!
There's not a lot you can do with one stalk of kale so I threw it in the Ninja with plain greek yogurt, honey, ground flax, strawberries, and a splash of orange juice. Super healthy way to start your day!
And that was it for our batch from the farm. Though I also made a couple things from our garden. Like this lovely Basil Vinaigrette:
Basil Vinaigrette recipe found *here*
And I'm working on a Blueberry Basil Vinegar from the last of our hand-picked blueberries and more basil from our garden. Can't wait to see how it turns out in about 4 weeks!

No comments: